Oracle for what?

Here, you may ask all the questions you have about the Matrix movies.

Postby CaptPostMod on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:05 pm

iLuvU2 wrote:Then it should not surprise anyone that you are about as close to the truth about your own importance as you are about anything else.

Certainly doesn't surprise me :lol:
"Some success, some failure, but either way the gnawing hunger to know is never sated, and the road to the unknown continues to be dark and strange." --The Outer Limits episode "Expanding Human"
CaptPostMod
Agent Smith

Postby CaptPostMod on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:14 pm

Of course, I don’t believe in the Truth. So the idea of being closer to or further from it seems like an absurdist one to me.

The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Truth, and Little Richard are each at a separate corner of a boxing ring. There’s a hundred dollar bill in the middle. Which one will get it? …

Little Richard, ‘cause the rest are figments of your imagination!
"Some success, some failure, but either way the gnawing hunger to know is never sated, and the road to the unknown continues to be dark and strange." --The Outer Limits episode "Expanding Human"
CaptPostMod
Agent Smith

Postby iLuvU2 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:21 pm

But if I were asked about you, I would say that you just need a friend who will exchange words with you, that's why you're here. Evidence: Let's see. For someone who claims to be a family man, you sure spend alot of time here. This also explains why, imho, you do alot of dodging questions and getting off the subject - because you want as much of conversation as you think you can get others to give you. And if I were to go further, I would say that you may believe that you are helping people in your own little way in the meantime by confusing the heck out of them. I'm thinking about the kid a few days ago who said that your words were thought-provoking but couldn't say why he felt that way. Tell me Capt. do you hope to be long gone by the time he finds out what you're trying to serve in the interest of preventing him from learning about?

CaptPostMod wrote:Of course, I don’t believe in the Truth. So the idea of being closer to or further from it seems like an absurdist one to me.

Case in point.

Because if you're serious about this, one could ask why you see the importance of getting anyone to believe as you do.
Last edited by iLuvU2 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iLuvU2
Rebel

Postby CaptPostMod on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:13 pm

I was just talking the other day (with the wife) that there needs to be a “match.com” style service that hooks you up with friends.

That was the real appeal of becoming a Freemason—friends (or brothers) for hire.

I haven’t really had any friends since I graduated college. My personality isn’t well suited to being 29. I was much better at being 19. A pseudo-intellectual trendy-coffee house geek sitting around discussing high-minded nonsense.

My wife and I work opposite shifts. She takes the evenings, and I take the days. So I don’t even get to see her a lot. And my oldest son is just really learning to form sentences, so he’s not a great conversationalist.

There’s my sob story. :D

As to why I try to convince others that I have beliefs, it’s probably because I am very infirm in them. As you pointed out on MEx, I’m like a leaf on the wind when it comes to religions and philosophies. I just jump in the current of whatever sweeps me along in the Dharma.

Ironically, that very infirm belief pattern only proves the truth of my relationship to the Truth. I don’t believe in it.
Last edited by CaptPostMod on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaptPostMod
Agent Smith

Postby iLuvU2 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:17 pm

Its called discordianism. And I have no problem with that perspective. It's just that many might resent you wasting their time especially if they come to recognize the significance of what you're doing later.

Or,
Another way to put it is that just because what you found out makes you feel a certain way, it doesn't mean others have to feel the same way about it.
iLuvU2
Rebel

Postby CaptPostMod on Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:12 pm

iLuvU2 wrote:Its called discordianism.
What is?

intell wrote:Another way to put it is that just because what you found out makes you feel a certain way, it doesn't mean others have to feel the same way about it.

Which is why I seem evasive to your constant questions. I claim no definite answers or truths.

Also why I openly admit to making posts that are not meant to enlighten myself or anyone else. I’m just telling how a certain concept, belief, idea, whatever made me feel. Partly for the conversation, partly to see how others feel.
CaptPostMod
Agent Smith

Postby iLuvU2 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:02 pm

CaptPostMod wrote:I’m just telling how a certain concept, belief, idea, whatever made me feel. Partly for the conversation, partly to see how others feel.

Hmmm.

I'm not yet convinced of whether doing it that way is fair to the others. But I guess it could be worse. You or someone could've just dropped a whole lot of shocking info at once and then said "how y'all like them apples?" I think I understand. (Which is why I started asking - to understand).
Last edited by iLuvU2 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iLuvU2
Rebel

Postby iLuvU2 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:17 pm

double post.

But since I'm here maybe I'll ask...nah nvm. :)
iLuvU2
Rebel

Postby CaptPostMod on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:03 am

Anyone else paying attention during tonight's Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Temet Nosce is inscribed over the door of the Temple of Apollo in Delphi. Ergo (as they say in the Latin)--The Oracle is the oracle of Apollo.
CaptPostMod
Agent Smith

Postby vieome on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:43 am

Thought I would and some more to this as I had another insight to the oracle last night. I willwrite about it in my Neo thread soon.

But just quick here. neos visit to the Oracle shows us a lot about who we are.

1. We all have our vices- smoking tea candy you name it every body has vices.
2. The Oracle shows us we are ruled by the system and to have power over the system one has to understand that it is our emotions that are driving the matrix forward.
3. Emotions can be grouped into two kinds good and bad. Bad one signal te system is in control,.
4. She lets us know we can choose our emotions.
5. Watch the Neo thread it is going to get very interestting
vieome
Captain

Postby Feral_Boy on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:33 pm

CaptPostMod wrote:Anyone else paying attention during tonight's Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Temet Nosce is inscribed over the door of the Temple of Apollo in Delphi. Ergo (as they say in the Latin)--The Oracle is the oracle of Apollo.

I did some quick research on the Temple of Apollo, and found that the oracle there is referred to as the "Delphic Oracle" with a priestess called Pythia residing over it (sounds like "Pythia" is a title that's passed on, rather than an actual name). In M1, wasn't there a female character named "Priestess" who answered the door of the Oracle's apartment?

The confusing thing to me--having not ever really studied the Oracle at the Temple of Apollo--is how exactly it works. It doesn't appear that any myth claims that the oracle is a being (like in the Matrix mythology), but more like an enchanted geographical location. The Pythia would go to the Temple of Apollo, and in a frenzied state would prophesy. These prophecies would be oracles. So it would appear that what the Wachowski Brothers did is to simply take the concept of the oracle and make a character out of it. Any thoughts?
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes."
Feral_Boy
Captain

Previous

Return to Matrix Questions